Monday, November 19, 2012

The house call

I only make house calls for friends.  And of the very few of those I have actually done over the years, most have been for euthanasias.  Today was no exception.  And to top it all off, the morning was cool and dreary, seemingly fitting for the task at hand.

There are few things that make my day worse than going into the home of someone I know for the purpose of laying a beloved friend to rest.  It's hard to even get out of the car.  But I keep it in perspective by remembering that no matter how bad it makes my day, it's much worse for them.  When it's over, it's not my life that has changed.  I simply go back home, back to work, or off to lunch.  For the family, the day is much different.

And I realize I could just say no.  But I know they would not have asked me to come if it wasn't important for one reason or another to have this done at home.  This is the kind of thing they don't tell you about in school, or when you are considering career choices.  I don't know if that's good or bad.  Because even though it's one of the hardest things you might do, it's also the one people remember and appreciate the most.

4 comments:

Kim said...

People like me are so incredibly grateful for people like you...it's quite the gift for an owner to be able to let their dog go at home. Not all vets will make these difficult house calls. Thank you for being one that does.

Sue said...

Saying goodbye never gets any easier, even when you know it's coming. Thanks for making it less awful.

Karissa said...

I can only echo the thoughts above. Thank you for being a good friend.

Kathy Mocharnuk said...

I felt the same being with long time patients or family members taking care of their family member as they died when I worked in ICU, what more important time and while i is not comfortable you know those are the moments you can make the most huge difference. so glad those patients have you and that small comfort at such a rough time, bet that touches those families lives for so many years, kuddos on being so compassionate